Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thursday chat

Good morning my readers. I have very little news since my last post really but I felt compelled to sit and write a little something. I am currently sitting here waiting for some places to open so I can go toss in an application for work. I tried to arrange for a paycheck from a martial arts source but it seems all my martial arts brothers are about as broke as I am. Unless you want to teach kids classes it seems martial arts jobs are not going to cut my bills anytime soon.

There is hope in the future however. I plan to go to ITT Tech starting in Dec. I am going to get a bachelors degree in web security. I like this idea for several reasons. One, my brother Scott has a similar job and it will give us tons to chat over and exchange riveting stories about TCP/IP protocols. A little coffee and chat about packet speed and I can imagine the whole world will stop to listen in. Two, despite saying I had gotten over this in a previous post, it fits into my self image of spy training. Its just the same thing as my martial arts and biology training but applied to a new format. Three, I do have a huge love for computers and puzzles and have just the sort of obsessive personality that would make a career like this work for me. All I have to do is jump through a few hoops and fill out some papers and I can start wracking up some student loan debt. I am hoping that I have all the general ed credits covered from MCC and will be able to cut out 30% of the Associates degree classes. We will see what I have and what transfers next month.
Until all this gets kicked into high gear however, I still need to make enough to pay for Chris to go to preschool. Thus, I am off to fill out apps for anyone who will take me for now. ( heavy sigh )

I have no new martial arts news today. I can say I need to tighten up on my diet. I went into a junk food frenzy last week and need to pull back to a clean nontoxic diet of fresh veggies and lean meats. Training the kids at ECS has been a very satisfying endeavor for my over the last months. I think that has been what keeps me sane. If I get a day job I will have to arrange some time in the nights to go in and teach. Along that line of thought, I also want to drop in on Master Corona some time soon. I miss his company and would do well with a trip back to the source this week. Revisit my root so to speak. A plant with a weak root doesn't grow.

Lastly, I was asked to re-post some of my myspace blogs for those of you who can't see my page since it is set to private. It is only set that way so that students of my wife don't stumble onto something controversial.

I will first re-post:



Shannon’s Maxims:

1) All communication is a two way link. If the information is only flowing one way it is either an act of vampirism or ego-centristic lecture or both.

2) Honesty is an act of force and requires strength. Be strong.

3) Lies are an act of seduction. Be careful whom you seduce, they may want to hang around for breakfast.

4) Self-identification is the defining element of a persons drive, determination and motivation. Having a clear picture of who you are will save you from a great deal of regret and guilt.

( Combination of 3 and 4: If you lie to yourself and succeed, you may create a self identity that you will have to sleep with for a long ass time before you have the guts to throw them out of bed.)

5) Truth is only found in the totality of a thing and the events surrounding it. We are perceptually limited to finite knowledge. Never assume you know the TRUTH about anything. Survival is dependant on knowing workable approximates.

6) Embrace change, for constant change is the universes only constant.
(That and the speed of light I guess, but even that is only in a vacum. And none of us live in a vacum.)

7) We are here only once. Make the most of life and enjoy the ride.

8) Never gamble away years of happiness and satisfaction over a moment of pleasure. The hedons don't add up.

9) Love and Freedom are the most cherished things one can have or give away. Give it openly to those you cherish and defend it viciously from those who would take it by force.

10) Always try to recognize people for who they currently self-identify as and isolate their methods of operation. Expectations and assumptions based off your own inner desires or feelings are of no workable use.

11) In the world of inanimate objects there is cause and effect, but in the world of beings with free volition there is always mutual interaction. Never blame another for your condition or condemn them for theirs. You have a part in all you feel.


I could add to these and fine tune them but to be honest it would be futile since I am always revamping and detailing my life's philosophy. I would never be done expanding them. I can honestly say looking over them that they all still apply.

Done for the day. Time to go do what needs to be done.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good luck in your new schooling adventures. Seems to be the alignment of the planets or something that several people I know, myself included, have decided to make the leap back into studenthood. I think your direction is a good one and certainly has a lot of opportunity for growth and scoring the loot! Sweet!

Anali said...

Good luck! Just don't drop any packets while you're hunting.

Re. diet - maybe we should cut back a little on the candy at DnD games. Not all the time, but maybe alternating weeks? My waistline will support this decision. :-)