Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturn's day

Ok, so upon further meetings and financial research I believe ITT can go to hell. Do not pass go, do not collect my $200, go directly to hell. $465 per credit hour with no full time discounts means that a Bach would run me like $85,000. I doubt seriously very many of my credits would transfer since I doubt ITT cares that I studied biology, chemistry and such. The math and composition classes are really all that would apply to their IT degree. So, its back to community college or buck up and drive to ASU.

I haven't worked out in a full week now. I need to set some time aside to go in and fight with the boys before my hormones cause me to have a road rage episode or go ape shit in a grocery line. On the up side, having a week to let my muscles fully repair has made me feel a lot more healthy than when I am in full time work out mode. Maybe I can get my wife to toss on some gloves and beat on me till I feel more subdued.

Tonight is D&D night at the Perry home this evening. I look forward to frying some kobolds and bandits with my Flaming Sphere. I really like the spell system for 4e with one exception. There needs to be a LOT MORE rituals. I know that will come in the supplements but still, the feeling of being a wizard does not come from one shotting trash mobs. That part should just be a given for any fighting game. I want more non-combat spells to play with and I should have them at level 1. I am not playing an apprentice after all. The players guide says I am a HERO. I am not asking for anything plot breaking. I just think a fledgling wizard should be able to use magic to do all the things you imagine that a wizard does while sitting around the house in his underwear. Now I know a liberal use of prestidigitation, ghost sound and mage hand all contribute to a lot of that but I think some rituals that all wizards who have completed their apprenticeship should know includes:

Animate Object
Lasts one day per level and the animated object can not perform direct combat. Makes brooms and dust rags cleans things. Makes chairs and cauldrons follow you about in the workroom. Allows painted pictures to move like a limited movie. Makes peoples shadows act in a seemingly self aware manner.

Chore
A short ritual that does the dishes, cooks food and other more mundane jobs while you study.

Unseen Servant
Creates a servant to handle the little things you are too busy for.

Identify
Yes this is part of the Arcane skill now but maybe it would be used for things non arcane.

Scribe/ erase
A must for the avid magical "student".

Detect "X" rituals
Wizards should be a little more psychic at level 1. Maybe just detect hostility or something.

These rituals should be a given and then you can buy, find and discovery through study all the others in the book at level 1 and start amassing you magical library. WHO in their right mind would study magic and NOT learn to cover your basic student and house keeping/ comfort issues first?

Anywho...I got to run. Wife and kid went to the park. If I hurry I can catch them and play in the grass.

1 comment:

I am Moses. said...

Shannon, you should look into the distance learning programs at the three universities; you may not have to drive to ASU for more than one or two classes total. You may even be able to mix online classes from the three Us to get a degree from one without having to drive at all.