Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dungeons and Dragons

Last night was our weekly D&D game at the Perry house. Its always quite the event with lots of great conversation and dinner included with the game. I can honestly say I think I go equally for the conversation time before the game as much as for the game itself. The main topic last night was politics of course given the year and the season. It was not really a heated conversation given that our views are not oh so different politically or philosophically but even a conversation where everyone mostly agrees can still be quite fun. I have to admit that I thrive on controversy when it comes to lively debate but I think there just isn't enough divergence in our ideas without trying to grandstand on a fringe idea. Dinner consisted of Popeys chicken corn on the cob and homemade strawberry and banana pie. Needless to say, I was stuffed long before we reached game time.

As a side note I forgot to brag on my wife for climbing onto a mechanical bull Friday night and risking life and limb for a moment of entertainment. Trish is a mega stud and gets full props from me for bravery in the face of a great time. She was cheered on by me and a dozen others from her work as well as being bolstered by a whole bar chanting ,"Ride the Bull". (a chant started by me of course)


The D&D game itself was awesome. The last two sessions have been a good old fashion dungeon crawl. I love my new character and am developing a massive back story for him for our more role play oriented times between dungeons. At the moment though I am quite content to press from room to room and slaughter kobolds in mass and devastate monsters with my impressive magical arsenal of spells. I got my first big piece of loot last night too. I got a "Staff of the Warmage" and cant wait to crit some kobold's face off with it. The main issue with the game at the moment is we are all still learning new rules for the 4E system so we get a little bogged down in mechanics at times. I have to say I think I have my act together in that area now. I know all my abilities and a large portion of all the mechanics that apply to me. As we gather momentum and confidence in the new rules though, we are starting to see more creative descriptions and uses of powers as we move along. All in all, I am pretty sure the new 4e system is better than past incarnations of the game.
IMHO:
In the end, I think the greatness of of the 4e system will be determined by its end diversity. In the past, D&D 3.5's appeal came from all the different characters and prestige classes you could be. I like to get as far off the beaten track as I can class wise and I am hoping that as supplementation comes out there will be lots of Mage options for me to pick from. I fear that use of the arch types will pigeonhole classes and limit them. I do not think it HAS to turn out like that mind you, but I fear they will get lazy and it will happen. I look forward to seeing the druid class and a telepathic psionics class ( my two favorites in the game of course are not available to play yet) and hope they have solid group roles that are significantly different flavor wise from the established classes in the basic book. If the flavor of those classes are preserved I think I will remain happy and loyal.
My wife is paging me away from the computer. We just got all 4 seasons of House on dvd and we are on a private quest to watch them all asap.

No comments: